A Demon-possessed Gerasene Healed
5 And they came to the other side of the sea, to the region of the Gerasenes. 2 And as* he was getting out of the boat, immediately from the tombs a man with an unclean spirit went to meet him, 3 who ⌊lived⌋ among the tombs. And no one was able to bind him any longer, not even with a chain, 4 because he had often been bound with shackles and chains, and the chains had been torn apart by him, and the shackles had been shattered. And no one was strong enough to subdue him. 5 And during every night and day among the tombs and on the mountains he was crying out and cutting himself with stones. 6 And when he* saw Jesus from a distance, he ran and knelt down before him. 7 And crying out with a loud voice he said, “⌊What have I to do with you⌋, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I implore you by God, do not torment me!” 8 (For he was saying to him, “Come out of the man, unclean spirit!”) 9 And he was asking him “⌊What is your name⌋?” And he said to him, “My name is Legion, because we are many.” 10 And he was imploring him many times that he would not send them out of the region. 11 Now a large herd of pigs was there at the hill feeding, 12 and they implored him, saying, “Send us to the pigs so that we may enter into them.” 13 And he permitted them. And the unclean spirits came out and* entered into the pigs, and the herd—about two thousand—rushed headlong down the steep slope into the sea and were drowned in the sea. 14 And their herdsmen fled and reported it* in the town and in the countryside, and they came to see what it was that had happened. 15 And they came to Jesus and saw the demon-possessed man sitting there clothed and in his right mind—the one who had had the legion—and they were afraid. 16 And those who had seen it* described to them what had happened to the demon-possessed man, and about the pigs. 17 And they began to urge him to depart from their region. 18 And as* he was getting into the boat, the man who had been demon-possessed began to implore him that he could go with him. 19 And he did not permit him, but said to him, “Go to your home to your people and tell them all that the Lord has done for you, and that he has had mercy on you.” 20 And he went away and began to proclaim in the Decapolis all that Jesus had done for him, and they were all astonished.
SINS TO AVOID:
- Value material things over spiritual things. People in that town asked Jesus to leave their place perhaps because of what happened to the herds of 2000 pigs but failed to appreciate the miracle of healing to a demon-possessed man.
- Value material things over a life of a person.
- Fear of the unknown. They don’t know Jesus and they were afraid of Him so the people asked Jesus to leave their place. They don’t have to courage to find out the truth.
PROMISES TO CLAIM :
- God has mercy on us! If everybody gave up on us, God will not.
- Only God can truly release us from any bondage of sin. We can’t suppress our addictions apart from God. To be truly free, we need to submit our lives to Jesus Christ.
EXAMPLES TO FOLLOW:
- Be obedient to God – the man who was possessed obeyed Jesus to stay in his place and proclaimed what Jesus did to him. As a result, people were astonished of God and became interested to know Jesus.
- Sharing how the Lord changed your life is a good way to evangelize. In this way, people may come to know the Lord. Every believers should give their testimonies to others as a way of sharing the gospel.
COMMANDMENTS TO OBEY :
- Share the gospel where you are. Start in your own home.
- Share your testimony. Share what the Lord did to your life.
SOME OTHER TEACHINGS:
- Jesus has authority in all things, even to demons.
- Life is more important than any other material things.
- Even the demons tremble at the name of Jesus Christ, but some people do not respect and even ridicule the Lord Jesus Christ like the chief priest and those who crucified the Lord. Even in the current times, many people made fun of the Lord. Why? Because they don’t know the truth.
I will be ready to give my Jesus story – why & how did I believe in the Lord. Also, I will take note of the things that I am grateful about and will be willing to provide my testimony about it to inspire others to trust in Jesus Christ as well. Without the Lord, I am nothing and will have nothing. I give praise to God for His goodness!