The Rich Man and Lazarus
19 “Now a certain man was rich, and dressed in purple cloth and fine linen, feasting sumptuously every day. 20 And a certain poor man ⌊named⌋ Lazarus, covered with sores, lay at his gate, 21 and was longing to be filled with what fell from the table of the rich man. But even the dogs came and* licked his sores. 22 Now it happened that the poor man died, and he was carried away by the angels to ⌊Abraham’s side⌋. And the rich man also died and was buried. 23 And in Hades he lifted up his eyes as he* was in torment and* saw Abraham from a distance, and Lazarus ⌊at his side⌋. 24 And he called out and* said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus so that he could dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am suffering pain in this flame!’ 25 But Abraham said, ‘Child, remember that you received your good things during your life, and Lazarus likewise bad things. But now he is comforted here, but you are suffering pain. 26 And in addition to all these things, a great chasm has been established between us and you, so that those who want to cross over from here to you are not able to do so,* nor can they cross over from there to us.’ 27 So he said, ‘Then I ask you, father, that you send him to my father’s house, 28 for I have five brothers, so that he could warn them, in order that they also should not come to this place of torment!’ 29 But Abraham said, ‘They have Moses and the prophets; they must listen to them.’ 30 And he said, ‘No, father Abraham, but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent!’ 31 But he said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the prophets, neither will they be convinced if someone rises from the dead.’ ”
DUA questions developed by Brandon.
- What requests were denied from the rich man? v 24, 27-28
- What is the underlying meaning behind verse 25
- How did Abraham respond to the rich man? v25-26, 29
- What exactly is hell? What does the great divide represent?
- Why would God create hell? What is the purpose of hell?
- The Bible says all has sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. How can we escape our punishment of hell?
- Are you confident that you will go heaven when it’s your time to die? Why or why not?
- Do you know people in your life who have not accepted Christ? How can you begin to talk about Christ with them?
Addtional verses from Teacher Joseph’s preaching.
Therefore Sheol has enlarged its throat,
and it has opened wide its mouth without limit,
and her nobles will go down, and her multitude,
her tumult and those who revel in her
Sheol below is getting excited over you,
to meet ⌊you when you come⌋;
it arouses the dead spirits for you,
all of the leaders of the earth.
It raises all of the kings of the nations from their thrones.
2 Corinthians 2:21
He made the one who did not know sin to be sin on our behalf, in order that we could become the righteousness of God in him.