Notes from Teacher Paul’s preaching.
- Rev 2:8-11
- “Dying is like falling asleep in one place and waking up in another” – William K. Condrell
- Why sweep the graves? To remember them and also reflect on your owns life – but not worship them.
- People cry when someone die, because people feel pains that all of us will soon experience death.
- Why follow Jesus? Jesus conquered death.
- “Lazarus is dead but let us go to him.” – John 11:44
- “Jesus wept.” – John 11:35
- Jesus cried not for Lazarus but for the hopeless people who have no way of reaching heaven.
38 Then Jesus, deeply moved within himself again, came to the tomb. Now it was a cave, and a stone was lying on it. 39 Jesus said, “Take away the stone.” Martha, the sister of the one who had died, said to him, “Lord, he is stinking already, because it has been four days.” 40 Jesus said to her, “Did I not say to you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?” 41 So they took away the stone. And Jesus lifted up his* eyes above and said, “Father, I give thanks to you that you hear me. 42 And I know that you always hear me, but for the sake of the crowd standing around I said it,* so that they may believe that you sent me.” 43 And when he* had said these things, he cried out with a loud voice, “Lazarus, come out!” 44 The one who had died came out, his* feet and his* hands bound with strips of cloth, and his face wrapped with a facecloth. Jesus said to them, “Untie him and let him go.”
Jesus performed 3 things.
- Jesus asked to remove the stone that covers the cave/tomb
- Jesus raised Lazarus to life.
- Jesus asked the people around to help Lazarus untie the grave clothes.
- Why Martha don’t want Jesus to open Lazarus’ tomb in v39? Did Jesus followed Martha? Why or why not?
- Why did Jesus prayed aloud in verses 41 & 42?
- What miracle did Jesus do in v43? What was Jesus command in v44?
- Why Jesus asked the people to remove the stone that covered the tomb? Do you think the Lord couldn’t do it by Himself?
- Why do you think Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead? Do you think Lazarus died again? Why or why not?
- Why would Jesus asked the people to help Lazarus untie the grave clothes? Was Jesus’ miracle not enough for Lazarus to completely recover?
- Have you ever experienced a miracle of God in your life? Have you removed the stone that hinders your heart from believing God completely?
- God gave spiritual life when we first believed in Jesus Christ, were there any grave clothes left that we need to remove? Who are helping us remove our remaining grave clothes? Are you helping others remove their grave clothes as well?