Sermon Notes from Teacher John.
24 Can war-booty be taken from the mighty? or can a captive of a righteous person be rescued? 25 But thus says Yahweh: “Indeed a captive of the mighty shall be taken, and the war-booty of the tyrant shall be rescued, for I myself will dispute with your opponent, and I myself will save your children.
Jesus said – I’m here and I’m here to reclaim what is mine.
Binding Satan –
Or how can someone enter into the house of a strong man and steal his property, unless he first ties up the strong man? And then he can thoroughly plunder his house.
— Jesus took away Satan’s tools to control people. Satan’s greatest lie is to make us believe that God is not for us. Satan blinded our eyes so that we can’t see the beauty and the glory of God in this world.
1. Deceit –
Colossians 1 – Jesus took us from the Kingdom of Satan and delivered us to the Kingdom of God. With God’s adoption, Satan lies were destroyed by God.
2. Shame / Guilt
Colossian – God has forgiven us all our trespasses by nailing it to the cross. Jesus disarmed Satan.
Hebrews 2 – Satan has been controlling people for the fear of death.
We no longer have to fear death because Jesus defeated death.
The Fellowship of the First Believers
42 And they were devoting themselves to the teaching of the apostles and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayers. 43 And fear came on every soul, and many wonders and signs were being performed by the apostles. 44 And all who believed were in the same place, and had everything in common. 45 And they began selling* their* possessions and property, and distributing these things to all, to the degree that anyone had need. 46 And every day, devoting themselves to meeting* with one purpose in the temple courts* and breaking bread from house to house, they were eating their food with joy and simplicity of heart, 47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord was adding every day to the total of those who were being saved.
— this community can become our community.
- Remember that we are still in a fight.
- We forget those whom God has sent to fight along side with us
- Work the truth of the gospel into our hearts through our devotional life with Christ.
- Work the truth of the gospel through confession and repentance in a community.
- Demonstrating the gospel through love and justice.
- Proclaiming the truth of Christ to the ends of the earth.
Hiding sin is like playing with a tiger as a pet.
Find an accountability partner – talk to them weekly.
Jesus will build His church and the gates of hell will not be able to stop it. The true and real religion is to visit and love the orphans and widows.
Jesus conquered evil by lettting it conquer Him so that we can have victory in our lives over evil.
DUA focused on Luke 11:14-23
A House Divided Cannot Stand
14 And he was expelling a mute demon. Now it happened that when* the demon came out, the man who had been mute spoke, and the crowds were astonished. 15 But some of them said, “By Beelzebul the ruler of demons he expels demons!” 16 And others, in order to* test him,* were demanding from him a sign from heaven. 17 But he, knowing their thoughts, said to them, “Every kingdom divided against itself is laid waste, and ⌊a divided household⌋ falls. 18 So if Satan also is divided against himself, how will his kingdom stand? For you say that I expel demons by Beelzebul. 19 But if I expel demons by Beelzebul, by whom do your sons expel them?* For this reason they will be your judges! 20 But if I expel demons by the finger of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you! 21 When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his possessions are ⌊safe⌋. 22 But when a stronger man attacks him and* conquers him, he takes away his full armor in which he trusted and distributes his plunder. 23 The one who is not with me is against me, and the one who does not gather with me scatters.
- How did Jesus responded to the allegations that He is expelling demons in the name of Beelzebul in v17-18?
- What were the questions raised by Jesus to those who questioned Him in v19-20?
- According to Jesus, how can we plunder the house of a strong man in v21-22?
- Who is Belzeebul? Why do you think some people accused Jesus that He was is expelling demons in the name of Belzeebul?
- How did Jesus cast out demons? If not by Belzeebul, does it mean that Jesus tied up Satan first before He plundered Satan’s kingdom by casting out demons? Why or why not?
- What did Jesus mean in v23 “the one who does not gather, scatters?”
- Do you feel Satan’s power were already defeated in your life? Why or why not?
- How can we tap Jesus’ power over the Kingdom of Darkness? What things can you overcome tonight with God’s help?