18 And John’s disciples and the Pharisees were fasting, and they came and said to him, “⌊Why⌋ do the disciples of John and the disciples of the Pharisees fast, but your disciples do not fast?” 19 And Jesus said to them, “The ⌊bridegroom’s attendants⌋ are not able to fast while the bridegroom is with them, are they? As long a time as they have the bridegroom with them, they are not able to fast. 20 But days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then they will fast in that day. 21 No one sews a patch of unshrunken cloth on an old garment. ⌊Otherwise⌋ the patch pulls away from it—the new from the old—and the tear becomes worse. 22 And no one puts new wine into old wineskins. ⌊Otherwise⌋ the wine will burst the wineskins and the wine is destroyed and the wineskins too. But new wine is put into new wineskins.”
SIN TO AVOID:
- Judging others because they don’t cope up with our standard. Extend mercy as God extended mercy to our own shortcomings.
PROMISE TO CLAIM:
- Fasting is not needed when the Lord Jesus was with His disciples – physically. Listen to God’s direction and guidance in your life.
EXAMPLE TO FOLLOW:
- Fasting has a role in the maturity of our faith. John’s disciples did and Pharisees’ disciples did. The Lord Jesus said that when He’s gone, then His disciples would fast (v20).
COMMANDMENTS TO OBEY:
- Do a fast – ask God for direction when and how long. We can also fast on things that takes higher priority in our life instead of spending time with God such as games, movies, TV, FB, Youtube, etc.
- New teachings from the Holy Spirit needs a renewed heart that can only be obtained by having a relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ. Without this relationship and trust in God, change for the better is difficult to attain.
SOME OTHER TEACHING:
- The teacher/pastor/leader is responsible for the behavior of his students. As a leader, take responsibility for the growth of your members and start caring for them.