Passage : Revelation 3:7-13
The Letter to the Church in Philadelphia
7 “And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write:
“This is what the holy one, the true one, the one who has the key of David, the one who opens and no one can shut, and who shuts and no one can open, says: 8 ‘I know your works (behold, I have put before you an opened door that no one is able to shut*) that you have a little strength, and have kept my word, and did not deny my name. 9 Behold, I am causing those of the synagogue of Satan, the ones who call themselves Jews and are not, but are lying—behold, I will make them ⌊come⌋ and kneel down before your feet and acknowledge that I have loved you. 10 Because you have kept the word of my patient endurance, I also will keep you from the hour of testing that is about to come upon the whole inhabited world, to put to the test those who live on the earth. 11 I am coming quickly! Hold fast to what you have, so that no one may take away your crown. 12 The one who conquers, I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God, and he will never go outside again, and I will write on him the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem that comes down from heaven from my God, and my new name. 13 The one who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.’
- What did the Lord Jesus Christ commended to the church of Philadelphia in verse 8?
- In verse 10, why did the Lord Jesus promised to protect the Philadelphian church to the coming great trial for the entire world? How can we protect our crowns (v11)?
- Who will become pillars in the temple of God (v12)?
- Why is it important to obey Jesus’ commandments? Why do we need to persevere?
- How do you balance the grace of God and being obedient? How should we treat obedience?
- How do we overcome the world?
- Give example of things that you recently overcame? How did you do it?
- Think of two God’s commands that you are still struggling to obey – how do you plan to overcome these? When?